There are several reasons to chop and change online poker rooms habitually, such as taking advantage of the available free chip and deposit offers, but there is one really good reason to stay loyal to a poker room when you feel comfortable at one.
Before we look at that one particular reason, here is a brief look at five popular reasons why you should play at more than one regular poker room:
1. By using multiple online poker rooms you have access to a far greater number of tournaments or ring games at any time of the day.
2. There are more invitational tournament invites for “loyal players” which is often decided by the number of raked hands the player has accumulated over a certain time period so it make sense to show “loyalty” to several rooms.
3. Some poker rooms have looser players than others and this varies in each room throughout the day.
4. If a player feels they are being “easily read” and losing their chips they can move to another room with ease.
5. The ability to take advantage of freerolls across multiple online poker rooms as and when they appear.
These are all worthy reasons why you can chop and change your online poker rooms but the one reason that many players will choose to be very loyal to one particular room is the “rakeback”.
The rakeback may help poker rooms keep the big players in one room if they won’t try to cover its existence from the players who choose to hop from room to rooms. A “rake” is the house’s commission that all poker rooms take from played hands. The rake varies from 1% to 10% depending on pot size, as well as other factors.
The poker rooms keep 100% of the “rake” unless circumstances such as promotions and affiliate referrals apply. This is one reason you should always question a poker room with an affiliate log tacked onto the end of the web address. Did they promise you huge wins and loose players or did they simply refer you to the site?
You should keep in mind if you find a good strong rakeback programme, the chances are it may not pay you to play in a variety of rooms. You may find it is much more profitable to be loyal to one room in which case you can play and act accordingly.